Syntax, shall we?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 24 20:18:06 PST 2002

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 12:26:53PM -0600, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> I know this is something about "Smart Profiles" and you said to hold
> that off, but I think if we don't consider that we'll desing a format
> that will not be scalabe, at first instance will seem the best because
> it's simple and easy to write.

Yes, we should keep it in mind. We shouldn't have to re-do the syntax from
scratch in the future to include smart profiles. But to do it right now
will take a lot more work. We should keep it simple and build from there
on. Can't we find a middle way? An intermittent, simple profile syntax that
we can develop quickly but that's still 'advanced' enough to later on add
on to to make it into the kind of syntax we really want to.

The issue is that we should stick to the basics first and get ALFS going
agian. If we're keeping too many things in mind right from the beginning,
we'll never start coding because we'd never know where to start.

So, yes, perhaps starting simple will require a re-haul in the future. I
honestly don't think it's that bad. Sure, since we realize now that it'll
happen eventually it'll be a waste of time in the future to ignore or not
implement the issue now.

We'll have to come to a conclusion whether or not it's worth waiting a lot
longer to get the syntax just right as we want it to be way down the road.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org