Syntax, shall we?

reb0rn jyork at lmasys.com
Thu Jan 24 16:44:36 PST 2002

>> >         <location type="remote">
>> >             http://automated.linuxfromscratch.org/LFS-3.1/bash.xml
>> >         </location>
>> >
>> >     implementation could either launch some program to grab that
>> >     profile, checking if it's successfully transferred, and acting
>> >     accordingly. Or, have it's own code for grabbing the profile with
>> >     some nice status reporting or other similar perversions.
>>

>>         What about trying something a bit broader.
>>
>>         <evaluate>
>>                 <check></check>
>>                 <iftrue></iftrue>
>>                 <iffalse></iffalse
>>         </evaluate>
>>
>>         This tag would give a profiler a ton more options of what he
>>         can do with
>> his script, although i know this is definitely bordering on the smart
>> profile category, although i'd take this to be more dynamic than smart.
>
> In my personal opinion not everything should be on the profile. I think
> a profile should only store data about a package.

  I would disagree with that, for the following reasons. While the
profiles must contain data about the package. These profiles are also
instructions on how to install the program. If you are not going to
include this sort of information in the profile, how would you suggest
getting that sort of information to the front-end program. It doesn't
seem very plausible to have the front-end collect that sort of
information on it's own, with nothing extra in the profile. I suppose
 you could totally skip it all together, but then you would be
restricting the overall functionality.

	-reb0rn

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org