Syntax, shall we?

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 24 03:59:54 PST 2002

Yo,

Allright, let's get this big ball of wax started.

First, I want to express that all suggestions are welcome and will be
considered and discussed, at least as much as we can.

I was going to start off by posting a few new ideas i had with the
syntax, but i want to hear from a few people first that have mentioned
they have a few ace's up there sleeves. (*waves at Neven*)

So, let's hear old ideas that haven't been discussed in a while that you
consider should be given another shot.  New ideas that haven't really
seen the light as much as they could have.  Present ideas and things you
like about implementations you have used (eg, say in nALFS for example)
and so forth... pretty much everything and anything.

If you ever had an idea, no matter how qwirky it is, now would be the
time to suggest it.  Just keep in mind a few things;

    o We are using XML as syntax and means to describe our profiles.

	I know not everyone agrees with this, but i don't see any other
        solution that can compare to XML, without switching to shell
        scripts.

    o We want to keep the syntax as simple as possible.

	Think "user friendly" if you will.  Simple to read, simple to
        write, simple to use. [yes i know that's easier said then done]

    o Portability is an issue we want to consider and take into account.

	That's one reason we don't consider shell scripts the right
	solution.  So, when writting profiles, you have to take into
	account and consider that not all implementations are using
	the standard command line tools. (like most ALFS presently are)

    o You're idea(s) may be turned down.

	This doesn't mean it isn't a good idea, nor will it mean it wont
	ever be implemented.  It just may not happen right away.

    o Issues that I consider we should hold off.

	Package Management, "Smart Profiles" or adding extra meta data
	are things i'd like to ignore untill we have an initial release
	finished.  And just concentrate on making a simple, working,
	build system.  However, feel free to discuess these topics if
	you want, just remenber that the goal of this thread is for us
	to agree on a common syntax.

Please try and take these few points into considering.

    So, let's hear it...

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org