ALFS Status: Past and future [was Re: new guy, newbie questions.]

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Wed Jan 23 05:31:11 PST 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 04:58:14PM -0800, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> > Here is a question that may get me in trouble, but what about using nALFS
> > for the standard?  It seems stable enough.
>
> I do remenber Neven mentioned he didn't want to see nALFS become an
> "official" version, but would prefer to stay compatible with the
> official profile syntax instead, believing that it would be better to
> have more options... i tend to agree.

Yes, and I think that the official version should be really simple and
basic (at least at the beginning), which can't be said for nALFS anymore.

Also, the responsibility of writing and maintaining the official
implementation won't allow me to implement all the new features that
easily any more (or more options, as you said).

> Either way, nALFS works and Neven is most likelly going to be staying
> compatible with the specification, so no worries.

Since it is an ALFS implementation (hell, it has it in its name :),
of course.

> But.  I can't speak for Neven.  If i'm wrong Neven, *please* speak up, i
> don't want to put words in you're mouth =)

They are the right words, so don't worry about it. ;)

> [PS, on a more personal note:  The one thing i don't like about nALFS is
> it's use of expat.  I just don't like it, neither the way SAX is
> implemented in C.  It's really nice in Java..but eww when i look at
> expat.  Not to mention the fact that it's limited to XML 1.0/XML
> Namespaces. (that isn't a bad thing really, it makes it nice and
> small/compat.  But would suck if we ever decided it would be fun to
> implemente XML Path, XML Pointer or XML Include support)]

Parser in nALFS does need some improvement, I haven't changed it much
since the first time I wrote it (which was a long time ago).

But I don't see any big difference between libxml's SAX API and expat.
It's the same event-based type of parsing. The reason I choose expat is
its simplicity and speed - it does the job quite well.

Of course, if (or when) we start using all those nifty things you mention
(XPath, XPointer, XInclude) I definitely won't waste my time by
implementing them on top of expat. Although I would love too, if only I
could "ulimit -mytime unlimited". :)

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org