ALFS Status: Past and future [was Re: new guy, newbie questions.]

tchiwam tchiwam at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Jan 23 04:16:50 PST 2002

This is an example of what I am currently working on for myself, it is
mostly bashing work, with greping and touching here and there ... These
are the goals *I* have fixed for *myself*. If we share the same goals,
let's share the work and good time.

I hope this is usefull

Philippe

Things the automated LFS should do:

-generate a wget list
-modular script for each package
-easy to upgrade / change / add modules
-Check for new version
-Paranoia level (eg 3: no check, 2: check, 1: make check / test,0:all files)
-Error handling (0: go ahead, 1: ask what to do, 2: stop and cry)
-Edit script (0: never, 1: on error, 2:Ask )
-depend check (0: whay dep ? 1: warn&ask dep 2:Stop and cry)

Cool factor options:
-concurent make of 1 package / processor
-simultanious wget and install
-Time to build
-Disk usage after build
-make report

alfs.Install.log
<Package>-<Version>,(received),(installed/notinstalled/error),timetobuild,
Diskusage

untarme: check if using .tar.bz2 .tar.Z or .tar.gz

alfs.install: (LFS = the whole thing, <package>-<Version> = depends
missing + package>
LOCALSOURCE=/usr/src/PACKAGES
LFS=/mnt/lfs
PARANOIA=1
ERRORHANDLING=1
EDITSCRIPT=1
DEPEND=1
CONCURENTINSTALL=2 (1+<NUMBER OF PROCESSOR>)

<package>.inst:
PACKAGE=<package>
VERSION=<version>
SOURCE0=ftp://ftp.gnu.org/...
SOURCE1=ftp://ftp.linuxfromscratch.org
LSOURCE=$LOCALSOURCE/<Package>-<Version>
DEP0=<Package>-<Version>
DEP1=...
PROVIDE0=<package>-3.3.11
PROVIDE1=<package>-1.85
# Depend check
 grep DEP0 ... alfs.install.log
 if dep is there continue 2nd dep till all dep checked
 if not there install 1st dep
 LEVELDEP=LEVELDEP+1 (that way you don't go too deep)

# Install Instructions:
	cd /usr/src
	untarme $LSOURCE | tar -x

# Test1 :
make test

# Test2 :
cd /usr/bin
ldd -v * | grep lib*.so*

# Config instructions:
cat >/etc/rc.d/init.d << "EOF"
echo "kick it on"
echo "kick it off"
EOF

# Success:
echo <Package>-<Version>,(received), \
(installed/notinstalled/error),timetobuild,\
Diskusage>>
install.log

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org