ALFS Status: Past and future [was Re: new guy, newbie questions.]

Felipe Contreras al593181 at mail.mty.itesm.mx
Tue Jan 22 11:05:23 PST 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:07:55AM -0500, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:26:01PM -0800, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> > As for making it less "script-like" as you mentioned, even if we smart
> > profiles, it will still look like a script (even though it isn't), so i
> > don't really see any way around this.  Suggestions are more then welcome
> > thou!
>
> Is it such a bad thing that something looks like a script? There simply is
> no way around it, you need to define somewhere what tag causes what command
> to run. You can obfuscate this and let the DTD define all that and have
> cryptic stuff in the xml profile, or just live wiht it and make the profile
> a lot easier to read and write and edit and understand.

Sure, but I like something like this:

<source>
	<uri>file://$packages_dir/base/mawk1.3.3.tar.bz2</uri>
	<uri>ftp://ftp.whidbey.net/pub/brennan/mawk-1.3.3.tar.gz</uri>
	<uri>ftp://ftp.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-packages/cvs/mawk-1.3.3.tar.bz2</uri>
</source>
<source kind="patch">
	<uri>file://$packages_dir/base/mawk1.3.3.patch.bz2</uri>
</source>

That's for the source tree preparation, I think that's the part that can
be tunned a lot. As for the parts as the build, the commands are
somewhat ok, and altought I prefer a simple shell command the true is
that the current alfs format for commands works.

--
Felipe Contreras
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org