ALFS Status: Past and future [was Re: new guy, newbie questions.]

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 21 21:45:50 PST 2002

Yo,

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 11:07:43PM -0600, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Why don't define this, ALFS is a project that aims to the creation of an
> extendalbe system builder and package installer.

That has to be the shortest and best description i've heard yet.
(allthough that is generalized if you ask me, should work thou)

> Totally true, it's much better to agree on a standard so all the
> projects can share the information. I know pretty well the advantages of
> having a format of a high level of complexity, it can be transformed
> into simpler formats.

Right.

> Could you please search for my post about "lots of ideas" and take a
> look at how I tought an ALFS parser should work? Or is that irrelevant
> right now?

I'll take a look, sure.  I haven't had a chance to read all the previous
e-mail since August.  I was keeping up with things when i was off-line
though, whenever i got a chance online, i would read the archives.  I
just didn't get a chance to read everything. (neither do i remenber
everything ;)

> I think this should be the second step of ALFS, to be a "command
> propagation system" so that at some kind having a good ALFS profile will
> give you good ideas about how to install stuff.

Oh sure, if the syntax is good enough.. and one understands what the
syntax does, you should be able to just read it and instantly understand
what the profile is trying todo.

But in reality, we are *automating* the LFS process, so alot of the
"educating the user" process gets removed.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org