ALFS Status: Past and future [was Re: new guy, newbie questions.]

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 21 21:06:38 PST 2002

Yo,

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 08:33:51PM +0000, Mark Ellis wrote:
> More fun that way :) And seriously often a better source of ideas,
> though at some point you obviously need some form of agreement or you
> won't get anywhere.

Exactly.  We have to agree on something official.  If we can't agree,
i'm going to have to make choice on what i consider "best" and recommend
that to Gerard and see how that goes.

Guys, just keep in mind, just because i go a certain way right now, does
not mean it can't change in the future or it won't.  I Just don't plan
on spending the next two years the way ALFS has spend the last two.

[and it's not like i'm activilly ignoring everyone.. at least i hope
not, that isn't what i'm trying todo, i will listen to everyone's ideas
and try my best to be honest and fair, but i plan on getting an initial
specification done and released in a few weeks]

[btw, there are ways to add you're own ideas to a profile, without
breaking compability, i'll mention this soon]

> I still think this has been the issue of limited time from a small
> number of people. A lot of good ideas have appeared here, and a lot of
> them have been taken on in principle, just that no one has had time to
> actually do anything with them yet.

True, not to mention the fact that a few people left.. but anyways.

> Do you mean the _really_ old syntax or the new stuff ? Are you thinking
> of going somewhere else entirely ?

Ok.

Let's make a few definitions here.

The Prototype Profile Syntax was the original initial "real-world"
syntax that was designed and used by mostly Bryan Dumm, Gerard Beekmans
and Myself.  This syntax, even though it was only suppose to be a
"proof-of-concept" was the only option untill 6 months ago when i
started working on a newer, stream-lined syntax.

I'm talking about http://linuxfromscratch.org/~highos/ADG/

I can't speak for the changes Neven has made to the syntax, as i do know
he did make quite a few... some i like alot, again, this is something
for another thread that i will start, along with a few new ideas i have.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org