ALFS Status: Past and future [was Re: new guy, newbie questions.]

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 21 20:50:57 PST 2002

Yo,

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 08:33:49PM +0000, Mark Ellis wrote:
> I wouldn't go that far. The syntax has improved alot, still not perfect
> but certainly we have a good base for improvement, and i think the XML
> has always been the heart of ALFS. As long as there is a common ground
> on what this means then ALFS is still ALFS.

Very true.

> Agreed to a certain extent, there has been no 'official' ALFS voice.
> There have always been a core group that have managed to agree on a
> direction to go in, they are just less than those who contribute valid
> ideas from their own projects, so yes sometimes it can appear that we
> are being overwhelmed by the alternatives.

Sometimes? :)

> I think, certainly from my point of view when i first looked at all
> this, that the lack of 'official' activity gave the impression that
> ALFS had become more of a spin off than a sub project of LFS, hence it
> seemed more natural to discuss in the group but not necessarily host
> projects centrally. Certainly if there was any interest in having my
> changes for instance applied to the stuff in cvs then i would be more
> than happy with that, at the time though it seemed that alfs cvs was
> pretty much a dead duck.

Again, that's true.  But ALFS was always mean't as a subproject.

> Unfortunately we all have lives outside of LFS :)

Tell that to anyone on #LFS.. they wont believe you used that context
with me ;)

> Okay, but do you want to start bouncing out some of your ideas ?

Will do, allthough in a new thread.

Most of them have todo with the syntax however, as id like to iron out
something we can all agree on, or at least tolarate for the near future.

Nothing will become "standard" without it being discussed on this list
either way. (which is why i consider this list a "committee" similar to
what you were saying earlier)

I know that's exactly how Neven wanted it, or so he gave the impression.
You still around dude? suggestions? comments? You have done some great
things with nALFS, would be a shame for you to stay silent now ;)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org