ALFS Status: Past and future [was Re: new guy, newbie questions.]

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 19 03:17:30 PST 2002

Yo,

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 08:18:22PM -0500, Eric Miller wrote:
> I actually echo these sentiments, would love to see a "getting started"
> overview for LFS beginners, not Linux beginners.  We all know that Linux
> noobs really should sped some time on regular distros before trying the
> haute cuisine.  There could be a happy medium, though?

Here! Here! that's the way things should be.  But, is there anything we
can actually call ALFS anymore?  I don't believe so...

You see, everything that's happened on this list in the last couple of
months has been from thrid parties.  Nobody from the ALFS project has
said "Yes, this is where we are going.  This is what we are using.  This
is what we are working on.  etc.."

Why? you may ask... There are a number of reasons, but it all comes down
to a lack of leadership.

Because, since last August there has been literally no communication
from those running the ALFS project.

One thing that i've noticed in recent momnths is that there's been a
large number of developers that prefer to write there own
implementations and projects which are similar to ALFS, but don't feel
the need to contribute back or don't care where ALFS is going, etc.
[allthough that fails into play with the previous paragraph, so.. :)]

I would have figured more developers would have volunteered to help ALFS
and to work together, contact Gerard ask for permissions and so forth..
to my knowledge that hasn't happened.

Considering the hardest thing for a group of people todo is to decide on
a path to walk, with specific goals to aim for and so forth.. Things
turned out pretty good, especially when there was literally no
communication coming from the official ALFS project.

That can be explained and blamed if you will, on myself.

Those that were subscribe last august will most likelly remenber the
very large increase in postings and discussions that emerged when Gerard
shifted leadership of ALFS over to myself.  Then shortly afterwards, i
dissapeared off-line.  I have only managed to secure a connection a few
days ago, i will not make any excuses or such. (and that's a different
story)

So, as you can see... perhaps that adds a little perspective why ALFS
may seems to have no documentation, an outdated website or just plain
unorganized.

Now... that's the past.  No point in delving in the past.  No hard
fellings either, I would hope.

But it's the future that matters, right?

A few changes that will take effect soon are the website being updated
with relevant information along with a slight URL change to be more
compatible with other LFS sub projects.

http://automated.linuxfromscratch.org/
[note: the old URL will still stay in effect]

Last august, the biggest goal was to move away from the old perl
implementation, mainly because we had no one to maintain or update it.

Halfling, the code name for the implementation of ALFS i've been
writting under C using the libxml2 library is nearly ready to be put
into CVS.  A few more days of debugging and testing are in needed
however.

It will, in the next couple of weeks, become the official ALFS
implementation if it can manage to abide by all the goals and features
that we want for an initial 1.0 release.

[goals/features: these are not yet published anywhere yet, so please
have some patience.. as i know someone is bound to reply asking where
the may see a list]

I hope no one takes this post the wrong way.  And at the same time
clarified a few things, either way;

    Have a good one!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org