new guy, newbie questions.

Rob Landley landley at trommello.org
Fri Jan 18 08:59:24 PST 2002

On Friday 18 January 2002 04:12 pm, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> > Is there a list of steps to allow a newbie to get a system up
> > and running the
> > first time?
>
> ALFS is not particularly suited to the newbie at this time.

I'm not a newbie to linux, I'm a newbiew to ALFS.  There's a difference.
(You can't arrive at a project for the first time and NOT be a newbie to the
fresh domain.)  I've even checked out Linux From Scratch before (over a year
ago) but didn't have a spare machine to format and try installing it on at
the time.  I did grind through the old "bootdisk howto", back before Linux
>From Scratch actually existed.  Generally prefer Tom's Root Boot, though...

I've now downloaded the mailing list archives, the book, the pair of HOWTOs
on the "power on 2 bash prompt" page, subscribed to this list, gone through
the website again (both ALFS and main LFS), glanced at three of the
half-dozen XML system definition files the web site links to, and sooner or
later I'll look at the XML document type specification thing.

I was just wondering if there was a faster way to get started than to
recapitulate phylogeny on the whole project.  The web site doesn't have
anything resembling a "getting started" section, that's all I wask asking
about...

> You might do a search for the "sourcerer" linux tool or perhaps take a look
> at Rock Linux.

I'll add them to my to-do list.  (I've already ruled out Owl Linux on
openwall.  I not that interested in most of the international crypto patches.
 Encrypting filesystems might be nice, but FreeSWAN is just annoying.
Encrypting at the packet level is stupid, to encrypt efficiently the two
machines have to maintain state about each other, and that means there's a
session.  At the packet level, there is no session.  They've got a layering
violation there.  SSL and ssh make sense to me.  I once made a VPN by
combining ssh, transparent proxying, and a small daemon, and that was AFTER
looking at FreeSwan as a potential solution.  Besides, I want to play around
with KDE and they're trying to make a dedicated stripped down firewall.)

I just want a test system with source for everything on it because I'm tired
of fighting RPM in order to get the source tarball I just compiled to replace
what's already on the system.  (Yes, I could use a source RPM, which loves to
dump 30 different patches that aren't applied to the actual tree by default
into the /usr/src/redhat directory, so you then have to go to the spec file
to see what order to apply them in, which is ANNOYING.  But on the other
hand, it's kind of difficult to check a source RPM out of CVS.  Besides,
source RPMs are designed to create installable binary distributions, not
really as a means of software distribution in an of themselves.  If it was
just installed from source in the first place you won't have to worry about
config file mismatch and version skew and whether or not SuSE or Red Hat
decided to put it in a different directory than "configure;make;make install"
defaults to...)

Don't mind me, it's friday.  Long week.  I'll find it myself.  Just thought
I'd ask...

> ~Jason

Rob
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org