new guy, newbie questions.

Rob Landley landley at trommello.org
Fri Jan 18 03:41:10 PST 2002

Okay, I've been subscribed to this list for two days and received about five
emails, so I doubt this is going to get lost in the list traffic. :)

Where's the FAQ and HOWTO for this project?  I can't find them.  (If there
AREN'T any, I'm probably going to start writing simple ones since I have to
learn all this gorp to begin with.)

There's two toys I can download, one written in C, one written in perl.
According to the web site, the perl one is official but unmaintained.  (Huh?)

The steps -I- understand to getting a fresh system up (with tweezers, yes
that was me at ALS in 1998 :) is:

Make a boot floppy, stick it inna machine.  Boot floppy goes partition,
format, copy kernel and binaries from floppy to new root partition (in a
temporary directory), connect to internet, download glibc and gcc (binary)
tarballs, untar them (also into temporary directory), download source
tarballs for all of the above, recompile and install the compiled version in
the final location.  Now download an awful lot of OTHER source tarballs and
go "configure; make; make install" for a long time.

There's apparently a monster script that does all this by parsing a big XML
file that lists the tarballs and how to configure them.  Cool, all for it.
Is there a list of steps to allow a newbie to get a system up and running the
first time?  Neither the "introduction" nor the "roadmap" are particularly
forthcoming here.  (I can sort of guess what a "hints" file is, but not how
to use it...)

Over the next few days I'll read the archives and play with the programs on
my test system.  I'm just kind of curious.  (The web site mentions KDE.  Are
you that far, or is this a wish list item?  It doesn't say...)

Rob
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org