syntax again

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 17 15:04:40 PST 2002

Yo,

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:41:01PM +0100, Neven Has wrote:
> <!ENTITY % name "value"> is a parameter entity. It's used inside DTD to
> replace every occurrence of "&name;" with "value".

One thing i've noticed is some of your latest profiles is a similar
behabior in the internal DTD subset.  I've always wanted to use/try
that, i'm glad to see you've had suggest with it, but... i'm not sure
where anymore, but i do remenber reading that use of parameter entity's
are only allowed in external DTD's.

Even though they seem to work just fine in expat/libxml2... dunno, Just
a though. (does anyone else know anything about this? i could be wrong)

> If you want to include another xml file, I think this is the only way, yes.

Pretty much, yeah.  Untill you get into using XML extensions like
XInclude and XSLT.

> Of course, you're not required to use multiple files and can put all in one
> big file.

Or have a bunch of small files and just use XSLT to convert them to one
big one.

> XML is not a script in general. But I think there are some conditional stuff
> in it. Someone who knows it better could perhaps say more.

Only in the DTD thou.  There are some limited conditional functions in
SGML/XML DTD's, but are rarelly used... [at least from what i've seen]

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org