syntax again

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Thu Jan 17 04:41:01 PST 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 05:08:08AM -0500, Scott Carradice wrote:
> I am continuing to write a profile and I am wondering a few more things:
>
> 1.  What is the difference between <!ENTITY % ... SYSTEM ... >
>     and <!ENTITY .... .... >?

<!ENTITY % name "value"> is a parameter entity. It's used inside DTD to
replace every occurrence of "&name;" with "value".

<!ENTITY name "value"> is a general entity (or just entity). It's used inside
document content in a same way as a parameter entity.

With "SYSTEM", you can include the content of the file that follows.

> 2.  Is it possible to use a variable in the <!DOCTYPE ... > section?

Yes, that's a parameter entity above.

> 3.  Does everything you want to run have to be run as a variable?
>     i.e. why is the only way to include another xml file seem
>     to be to declare it as a variabel then again execute it?

If you want to include another xml file, I think this is the only way, yes.

Of course, you're not required to use multiple files and can put all in one
big file.

> 4.  Is there a way to run a script and get the result?  Then do a
>     conditional check to set or unset something?

XML is not a script in general. But I think there are some conditional stuff
in it. Someone who knows it better could perhaps say more.

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org