New element (<su> ?)

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Thu Feb 28 05:52:51 PST 2002

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 02:14:06PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > <su username="lfs">
> > </su>

It's worth mentioning that below <su> can be just about anything - only
whole LFS chapter 5 for example.

> I think for standard LFS this is too much. Standard LFS needs only a way
> to specify the default chapter 5 user and the default chapter 6 user.
> Specifying a user for every package is not very useful unless you're
> trying to support the package user concept, for which you would need more
> than just the above tag.

Well, I see two advantages - first is for the LFS book as it is now,
whose profile would only require putting the whole chapter 5 under <su>.
(I don't see any other solution for using that unprivileged user.)

The other one is a possibility not to compile packages with super-user
privileges, only install them when needed.

BTW, I didn't have time to check out your package users hint - I thought
something like the above would be enough for it, but I'm probably missing
something? It would be a great test for ALFS syntax to create a LFS profile
using it.

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org