New element (<su> ?)

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Thu Feb 28 04:08:58 PST 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:12:17PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> Where's the problem with that? My personal automated building system does
> just that (it deals with package users). It is invoked as root and
> executes commands with
>
> su <user> -c command
>
> A building system where the controlling program is written in C can just
> use the proper set*id() calls. I see absolutely no problems with this
> approach, especially since a normal LFS build only has to distinguish
> between chapter 5 user and chapter 6 user.

Peter van Kampen sent me a patch for nALFS to include a new element:

<su username="lfs">
</su>

that does this.

So this would be a good time to propose a new element as a part of the
syntax. Maybe with another name, but I think this is just what we need
for new LFS versions (and in general).

And what is also great is a possibility for something like:

<package>
    <su username="&your_username;">
        <setup>
        </setup>

        <build>
        </build>
    </su>

    <install>
    </install>
</package>

when a parser is started with super-user privileges.

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org