Example, thoughs?

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Wed Feb 27 06:16:38 PST 2002

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee <highos at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Go ahead and nitpick!  I don't think we talked about the switch from
> param to option.  It was just something i picked up from nALFS.

I like it for consistency with terminology outside ALFS. For example,
ls(1) reads:

SYNOPSIS
       ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...

and from xinit(1):

SYNOPSIS
       xinit [ [ client ] options ] [ -- [ server ] [ display ] options ]

Both pages mention "options", not "parameters".

> Is setup/build/install evil like Mark believes?

I don't see the use in them. I suppose one might build all packages now
but install them later for some reason i can't think of, but current build
tools don't allow one to automatically execute *.setup,*.build now so one
must select by hand anyway.

> Is a global dir per package a nice addition at this point?

Initially, i thought so. I've changed my mind. I can't imagine anyone
typing profiles for several hundred packages (all my new profiles are
filtered from templates) so it wouldn't save much typing and it would
reduce readability because one must remember the dir setting.

> <snip>
>         <info>
>             <name>bash</name>
>             <version>&bash.ver;</version>