planned failure

Brendan Taylor craftian at subdimension.com
Tue Feb 26 21:43:41 PST 2002

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 09:42:24PM -0800, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> Why not?  sure it matters.  Just because it's automated doesn't mean it
> wont happen.

That's the beauty of an automated system - you can work the majority of
the bugs out before you run it, and you can't make typos as it installs.

> It really is not a good idea to compile software as root.
> Everybody does it, that doesn't make it right.

At this time though, there isn't any other option for ALFS... unless you
want to have a seperate profile for each package, su-ing between users for
the pre-build/post-build.

> Anyways, that doesn't fix the problem that, sometimes it is allright
> for a configure or make process to end with an error and continue on.

If you really wanted something to succeed you could do an
<execute>command || true</execute>

I know we don't like <execute>s much, but I think they're preferable to
adding an option of limited usefulness.  I think it's important to keep
the syntax simple so that writing parsers is not a chore.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I may be absolutely wrong about
this.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org