planned failure

Loïc Péron loic.peron at bigfoot.com
Wed Feb 20 05:53:51 PST 2002

Fisrt of all, excuse me for not replying in the thread,
but as I only get the daily digest it's not possible.

Quoting alfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org:

> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 22:44:44 +0000
> From: Mark Ellis <mark.uzumati at virgin.net>
> Subject: planned failure
>
> Okay, here's one to get the grey matter working. Any ideas for a tidy
> way of flagging a profile step that you expect to fail ? Now that
> you're all looking confused i'll try and make some sense :)
>
> I have a profile containing a make step that will fail, that's ok
> because it's supposed to fail. I'm actually cross compiling the Hurd,
> which requires going backwards and forwards between half builds of gcc
>
> and glibc amongst other things, the first builds of which will fail
> because the other isn't built yet.
>
> Unfortunately, put this in a profile, with a -k param to make, and it
> still returns and error code and halts the profile. I'm thinking maybe
>
> a new element in <make>, <configure> and the like, or maybe even
> everything, to say ignore errors. Or perhaps an attribute, that may be
>
> more appropriate. Any thoughts ?
>
> Mark
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 00:13:31 +0000
> From: Mark Hymers <markh at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: planned failure
>
> On Tue, 19, Feb, 2002 at 10:44:44PM +0000, Mark Ellis spoke thus..
> > Okay, here's one to get the grey matter working. Any ideas for a tidy
>
> > way of flagging a profile step that you expect to fail ? Now that
> > you're all looking confused i'll try and make some sense :)
> Actually, this may be an issue when you all try and write the LFS-3.2
> profiles.  The chapter 5 installation of sh-utils fails with an error
> (which we intend) because it can't install su.
>
> Will this cause you lot problems?
>
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Hymers					BLFS Editor
> markh at linuxfromscratch.org

You all could have a look at ANT (http://jakarta.apache.org/ant)
which is a java+xml based build tool for a hint on how they manage
some of the problem you encounter.

I know that the objectives are not the same, but they also have:
. xml task description
. dependencies checking

They specificaly use a "failonerror" attribute for one of their
tasks ("java" task precisely).

I would just point out that they use a lot more attributes than
what I have seen floating here.

Just to give some ideas, might not be usefull :)

--
Loïc Péron

phone:(33) 683 880 177
mailto:loic.peron at bigfoot.com