Syntax, shall we?

Rob Landley landley at trommello.org
Fri Feb 15 18:28:54 PST 2002

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 11:23 am, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 11:46:32PM -0800, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> > Yo,
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 12:38:40PM +0000, Mark Ellis wrote:
> > > I wouldn't object to a renaming of these, but i'm not convinced by
> > > these suggestions. Setup sounds more like system configuration, and
> > > install implies that is all the step should contain, whereas there
> > > might actually be _setup_ requirements.
> >
> > Well, setup here is suppose to imply whatever you need todo before the
> > building stage, while install is suppose to imply the process of actualy
> > installing the package;
> >
> > <package>
> >     <info>
> > 	<name>wget</name>
> > 	<version>1.8.1</version>
> >     </info>
> >
> >     <setup>
> > 	<configure>
> > 	    <dir>/path/to/wget-1.8.1</dir>
> > 	    <option>--prefix=/usr</option>
> > 	</configure>
> >     <setup>
> >
> >     <build>
> > 	<make>
> > 	    <dir>/path/to/wget-1.8.1</dir>
> > 	</make>
> >     </build>
> >
> >     <install>
> > 	<make>
> > 	    <dir>/path/to/wget-1.8.1</dir>
> > 	    <option>install</option>
> > 	</make>
> >     </install>
> > </package>
> >
> > So, the four major tags:

Could we throw a default <dir> tag in there somewhere (maybe in the "info"
section) so it doesn't have to be repeated three times in configure, build,
and install unless you want to override the default?

95% of packages do their stuff in one directory.  configure; make; make
install...

Or am I missing something?

Rob
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org