Syntax, shall we?

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 12 23:12:27 PST 2002

Yo,

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 12:38:01PM +0000, Mark Ellis wrote:
> Huh ? I thought i had the whole XML thing worked out, but evidently i
> haven't. Shouldn't wget.ver be a parameter entity in there ?

The big difference between General and Parameter Entities is when they
are resolved.

Parameter Entities get resolved at declaration time, as they can be used
in a DTD to include markup.  So for well-formness/validation reasons
they are expanded and dealt with while the DTD is first read in.

General Entities on the other hand, don't get resolved untill they are
referenced in the document.

So.. one gets checked right away, the other waits untill it's called
upon.  Parameter Entities have more restrictions then General Entities
while working with an internal subset, but on the other hand the "rules"
while in the external subset are much more complicated.

Hopefully that clears things up.  Id suggest you read up on it, if you
want to know all the fine little details about the differences.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org