Syntax, shall we?

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Fri Feb 1 07:05:23 PST 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 08:14:54AM -0800, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> <package>
> 	<name>sed</name>
> 	<version>3.02</version>
>
>     <setup>
>     </setup>
>
>     <build>
>     </build>
>
>     <install>
>     </install>
> </package>
>
> [BTW: Yes i know <setup> and <install> are tags we aren't presently
> using, just something i've personally been playing around with, using
> <prebuild> and <postbuild> just isn't fun ;)]

This looks good to me, including <setup> and <install> instead of
<prebuild> and <postbuild>.

I would still rename <meta> in something more descriptive, but I can't
think of a better name - <info> or something... or not. :)

> > What about <configure> and <make>? They don't _have_ to use something like
> > <base> (especially <make> with its -C), but IMO, it's much much cleaner
> > this way.
>
> Actually, i was speaking more about having *both* <base> and <dir>.  And
> afiak, i can't really think of all that many tags that need to have
> both, apart from the fact of making it easier todo multiple operations
> at once.  Oh and les typing involved ;)

Yes, there are no elements requiring both, since <base> could be seen only
as a common part of <dir> content.

> > Yes, but as you said, without <base>-like tag we would have a ton of
> > <mkdir> tags. And it would look silly, since they would all have the same
> > "base" (heh) directory.
>
> Dunno, i'm game to ditch it.. i honestly don't mind spending an extra
> 5min typing^H^H^H^H^H^Hcopy+pasting.

Instead of:

<mkdir>
    <base>&LFS;/usr/share/man</base>
    <dir>man1 man2 man3 man4 man5 man6 man7 man8</dir>
</mkdir>

use:

<mkdir>
    <dir>
        &LFS;/usr/share/man/man1 &LFS;/usr/share/man/man2
        &LFS;/usr/share/man/man3 &LFS;/usr/share/man/man4
        &LFS;/usr/share/man/man5 &LFS;/usr/share/man/man6
        &LFS;/usr/share/man/man7 &LFS;/usr/share/man/man8
    </dir>
</mkdir>

instead? Copy&pasting or not, this is too much for my taste. :)

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org