Conrad's ALFS comments

Rui Ferreira ruifmferreira at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 26 03:15:35 PDT 2002

Hi all,
Hi Conrad.

You posted your script as an answer to my call of making an unified bash
script for building an lfs system.
Well, yours is pretty close, if not exactly.
So, I'm going to tell you what I would change:
. Put the functions on another file to help readability;
. The function names are very easy to read but too long. Instead of
make_lfs_command_chroot, why not just mkcommchr;
. Using lfs-commands from the site might not be an good idea because future
versions might reveal incompabilitys and you'll have to deal with them by
changing the functions;
. Entering chroot to execute each package build saves you from having more
than one script, but it isn't elegant(?!?). I came up with something else.
The script could call himself with an argument like stage2 for example;
. If using functions in other files, the main script could (elegantly) look
like (just some examples):
      Create directories # Being 'Create' a function and 'directories' the
argument;
      Install bash-2.05a static # 'Install'=function, 'bash...' and 'static'
the args;
      Install linux-2.4.18 headers
      Configure vim # 'Configure' function just copies the file that should
be edited by the user;
      Install glibc-2.2.5 dynamic addon glibc-linuxthreads-2.2.5
(Usage: Install package static|dynamic|headers [addon|patch
addon/patch-file])
Here, if we are allready making an exception to the kernel headers, we could
as well open another for config|menuconfig|oldconfig|xconfig;
. Rob Landley as a good way of creating root's password, check this:
# Default root password is "password" -- change this!
rm -f /etc/shadow &&
cat > /etc/shadow << EOF &&
root:IO3r0vZygY5qI:11875:0:99999:7:::
EOF
chmod 400 /etc/shadow

Well, these are just some.
And your script isn't stupid. It does far more checkings than...me!

Care to comment?

Greetings
Rui Ferreira

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org