ALFS again & again & ...

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Thu Aug 22 15:20:06 PDT 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:26:59 +0000 (UTC)
mark.uzumati at virgin.net (Mark Ellis) wrote:

> On 2002.08.22 13:02 Rui Ferreira wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here I am again striking on the same key.
> > As I previously thought, many of you have your little scripts to
> > automate the process of building LFS.
> > ALFS in the cvs is stalled and (AFAIsee) is not going the way of
> > arranging the commands in a bash script; and neither of the others do
> > that.
>
> Got a 5% completed xslt stylesheet to convert ALFS profiles to bash
> scripts. Expand time for me and one day i may actually finish it :)
>
> Mark
> --

Hi,

For the fun, I tried another approach, that is patching nALFS to make it put the commands
in a file instead of executing them. That has the advantage that we can use the UI of nALFS
to select some packages to be compiled, for instance.

It is almost working, except that I didn't find a good solution for the chroot command.
Putting the command "chroot /mnt/lfs" in the script file does not work as chroot expects
its commands from the terminal, if is not specified in the command line.

The only solution I found is to write something like :

chroot /mnt/lfs /bin/bash -c "cd /usr/src/mypackage; make"

Of course, it's more difficult to do this in nALFS -- I haven't done it yet -- as the current code
simply calls chroot() and is done, without needing to keep track of the current chrooted directory
when processing the other commands.
Moreover, I don't have any solution for the XML element <textdump> (to create a text file).

Does somebody has another idea ? Of course, the problem will be similar when converting
the XML profile into a bash script using XSLT.

Vassili Dzuba

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org