profile syntax documentation

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Fri Aug 16 10:03:32 PDT 2002

Hi,

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:16:16 +0100
"Alan Lord" <lord_alan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I've just started playing around with nALFS and have a question regarding
> your systax doc, and the actual code.
>
> In the <variable> element, looking at the appropriate handler.c it looks
> like there is an "unset" option. I am tyring to use this but can't seem to
> understand the syntax.

as I understand, there is no "unset" attribute, but one can unset a variable simply
by declaring it without content:

        <environment>
            <variable name="CFLAGS"></variable>
            <variable name="CXXFLAGS"></variable>
        </environment>

BTW, by looking at the code it seems that i forgot in my doc to mention
an attribute "mode" that can take the value "append", meaning that the
content of the element variable is added to the value of the environment
variable.

       <stage name="stage 1">
           <environment>
	      <variable name="FOO">FIRST</variable>
           </environment>

           <stage name="stage 2">
               <environment>
	           <variable name="FOO">AND SECOND</variable>
               </environment>

           </stage>
       </stage>

In that case, the value of the variable FOO in stage 2 is "FIRST AND SECOND"

> Am I right to assume that there is an unset option? If so how do I use it?
> If not what is the best way to unset a variable for individual packages? I
> have added my CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS variables to the top of the tree and am
> trying to unset them during the build of, for example, "binutils".
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PS - I love the application. It works very well, is easy to use and
> configure and means that I can now automate almost everything...
>
> Alan

I used Neven Has's last profile to build a LFS, and it worked very well.

I am playing now with nALFS to build some BLFS components, but it is a little more difficult
as some BLFS components are much more configurable. The BLFS book order is not the right
order to build the packages but nALFS interfactive shell is very usefull to select
the packages.

Vassili
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org