The usage of base as an attribute over an element?

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Wed Apr 10 06:18:36 PDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 11:28:55AM +0100, Mark Ellis wrote:
> > Thoughs?  A mix can't be bad.  Either way.. I keep thinking about
> > Neven's remark about XSLT, so I may fairly soon just totally drop this
> > hole nonesense about getting this "perfect" right from the bat =)

I think we should just release that new 1.0 syntax, and don't be afraid
to shortly after release 1.1 or something... We will hardly ever be
totally happy with the syntax.

And to be honest - I'm a bit tired of all this syntax discussions. :/

I mean, there are a lot more things to be done - if we want (and if I
understood correctly we do?) a package management to be part of the ALFS,
there also needs to be some standard format of representing installed
packages, dependencies and that kind of stuff.

And of course, there is that "ultimate thing" - a frontend-backend
protocol. Compared to it, standardizing profile's syntax is a trivial job.

Not to mention the famous "InfoSys", which I forgot what was all about
anyway. ;)

> Keeping in mind the whole XSLT thing, so aesthetics become largely
> irrelevant, i think i've decided i'm quite happy with attributes that
> contain straight alphanum text, so name in stage is fine, and looks
> good too.

Agreed.

> I have a slight problem with base as an attribute 'cos paths can
> contain a larger variety of characters, which i know shouldn't matter,
> maybe i've been influenced by all the fun with expat and " :) I'd
> still go for element base though.

Expat never had any problems with that ", and IIRC, neither did any
Perl's module? I remember someone posting some solution to the problem?
Anyway, I don't think that's something we should worry about.

But the reason I like base as an attribute (and I might be repeating
myself here :) is because it looks kinda natural being close to the
element's name. Since it is _its_ base, it somehow belongs there, at
least in my eyes.

But this reason is more a "personal preference" as Jesse put it,
so it can be safely ignored. ;)

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org