The usage of base as an attribute over an element?

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Wed Apr 10 03:28:55 PDT 2002

On 2002.04.10 10:48 Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> Yo,
>
> Here, take a look at this profile.  It's fairly basic, just describes
> the installation of wget.
>
> You will problably notice two things about the syntax used here.  The
> first is i've used <stage /> here, so i could get a better idea of how
> it would look for "real world purposes".  And the second is the usage
> of
> base as an attribute over an element.
>
> Dunno.. in some ways it does make it alot harder to read, however that
> really is more of a "personal preference" thing.  Mixing the usage of
> attributes and elements...dunno.  We have kinda gone pretty extreme
> with
> elements, compared to the "prototype" (aka version 1.0 you guys like
> call it) where we were totally attributes.
>
> Thoughs?  A mix can't be bad.  Either way.. I keep thinking about
> Neven's remark about XSLT, so I may fairly soon just totally drop this
> hole nonesense about getting this "perfect" right from the bat =)

Keeping in mind the whole XSLT thing, so aesthetics become largely
irrelevant, i think i've decided i'm quite happy with attributes that
contain straight alphanum text, so name in stage is fine, and looks
good too. I have a slight problem with base as an attribute 'cos paths
can contain a larger variety of characters, which i know shouldn't
matter, maybe i've been influenced by all the fun with expat and "
:) I'd still go for element base though.

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org