Syntax draft (DTD)

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Thu Apr 4 08:17:08 PST 2002

On 2002.04.04 14:47 Neven Has wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 06:17:26PM +0200, Loïc Péron wrote:
> > Here is my little contribution to alfs:
> > a DTD greatly inspired from ANT's way of
> > doing things. It can surely be extended
> > and improved, but it is the way I think
> > I would like to write an alfs profile.
> >
> > Waiting for your comments ... (positive
> > or negative, I don't care untill it is
> > constructive and makes me learn :-)
>
> I don't know about others, but I could agree having more attributes in
> the elements like this.
>
> This syntax is quite different from what we're using now, so it might
> be
> a big shock for us all. ;) But that shouldn't be a stopper, I guess we
> could combine the two?
>
> Your sentence "it is the way I think I would like to write an alfs
> profile" is an interesting one. Maybe we should rely more on XSLT and
> actually allow people writing the profiles in their own syntax. Then,
> we wouldn't have to kill ourselves here by trying to create the
> Perfect
> Syntax.

This is actually a very interesting point, i suppose there is nothing
to stop someone writing a stylesheet to convert from "attribute based"
to "element based". In fact this syntax reminded me very much of our
original syntax, and there are already stylesheets that can handle that
conversion :) Of course there would have to be a "base" syntax to
branch from, but from there you could have writing or implementing in
whatever style you wanted.

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org