<setenv>, <stage>

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 1 14:10:30 PST 2002

Yo,

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 12:02:30AM +0200, Lee Saferite wrote:
> <stage name="Prebuild - unpacking & configureing package">
> </stage>

I was going to recommend this again, to reply to an earlier e-mail you
sent, thou it looks like you and Neven seem to being sending e-mail
after e-mail so i just had to scrap 20min of writting ;p :)

> well, the problem, IMHO, with the <*build> elements is that you are
> constrained in how you build a profile.  Is locks you into using
> nesting the containers.  Without the nesting, you have the <setenv> and
> <su> problems.  you end up with around 6 or so major container elements
> a bit different in the fact that you specify a <name> element inside an
> <*info> element, but with <*build> you are just making the 'name' locked
> into the DTD.  Dunno. Guess I like the <stage> idea too much. I'll shut
> up now.

I think the idea of a generic stag element that we can specify a name to
it, makes sense.  Especially if we keep it simple.  Now, adding stuff
like the su/group/user/env things is neat.  And i see where it makes
sense.

However, the use of <stageinfo><name>blah</name</stageinfo> per <stage
/> is just..well.. like c'mon.  Were aiming for KISS, aren't we?

btw, don't shut up.  That's not fun.  It's good to have opinions on
things like this, if ppl don't speak up and voice there opinions then
generally I have to go with what i believe is "right" and "correct" or
what everyone else believes, so.. don't stop now ;)

> P.S. I can't spell worth crap, and I haven't gotten around to setting my
> system to check for me. Sorry. =)

I don't care :)  Well, it's nice to have good spelling and grammer, but
i'm notorious for making terrible mistakes, so i'm very forgiving ;)

There are too many i18n ppl on this list to have to worry about it too
much, imho.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org