Brainstorm: <package>

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Mon Apr 1 13:57:10 PST 2002

On 2002.03.30 14:51 Lee Saferite wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:33:00 +0000
> Mark Ellis <mark.uzumati at virgin.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I think this is probably more appropriate to regular distros than
> us.
> > They tend to have conflict info 'cos they do things like enable
> > daemons in the install, so you cant have two MTAs 'cos they can't
> both
> > grab the mail port. If i'm going off in the wrong direction someone
> > jump in. So i guess it depends how far we intend to go, if all we're
> > automating is the build and basic config then we might not need
> this,
> > although it may come in useful. If alternatively we want profiles
> that
> > go as far as starting system services then we'll definitely need it.
>
> What about conflicting versions of libraries?

Do you mean different versions of the same library, like libxml2-2.4.17
and libxml2-2.4.18, or 2 different libraries that have conflicting
namespace ? In the first case the newer should overwrite the older, but
i imagine you mean the second case yes ? I cant think of any but my
knowledge of libraries and programs at large is quite limited, yes i
suppose they must be out there, and yes you are right we will need a
conflicting field for them. Not sure what we should do about it though.

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org