Unwanted Optimizations

Lee Saferite dsaferite at internet.lu
Mon Apr 1 13:13:28 PST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:54:11 -0800
Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee <highos at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Yo,
>
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 08:47:55PM +0200, Neven Has wrote:
> > No code, but check out my first message in "Improving <setenv>"
> > thread.
>
> I have read it, i'm still confused however.
>
> > Actually, it won't make _that_ huge difference. :)
>
> Like i figured... :)
>
> > I mean, the only thing where it will make a difference, is the above
> > <setenv> (or <environment> inside <stage>). This is because it will
> > make setting the environment a container of that environment. So
> > before every element inside is executed, parser will have to go
> > through<stage> and _then_ set the environment.
>
> > With the way it is now, one can easily skip some <setenv>s and
> > perhaps execute elements after it, which depend upon it.
>
> Uh, skip?  What difference is it if it's inside a stage or it has it's
> own tags?  I don't see how that makes all that much more of a
> difference.

Well, if it is inside a <stage> section (or whatever you want to call
it) then the program knows that ANY elements that get executed inside
that element need to have some specific things set. (env, chroot, user,
etc) that why, you can select and element, say <make> and know that the
container element, <stage>, has info on what the environment should be.
That way you can set you optimizations , or not.

> I though the point of <stage> is to make it easier to group things.  I
> can't support such a change if i can't easily use <stage> like we are
> presently using <build> and so forth... otherwise, it's just making
> things more complicated then need be.  [however, i'll wait untill i
> see a good example before making a judgement on this]

You could use a <stage> element do simply replace a <prebuild> element
if you wanted to. But it could do more as well.

<stage>
   <stageinfo>
      <name>Prebuild</name>
   </stageinfo>