Unwanted Optimizations

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 1 10:54:11 PST 2002

Yo,

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 08:47:55PM +0200, Neven Has wrote:
> No code, but check out my first message in "Improving <setenv>" thread.

I have read it, i'm still confused however.

> Actually, it won't make _that_ huge difference. :)

Like i figured... :)

> I mean, the only thing where it will make a difference, is the above
> <setenv> (or <environment> inside <stage>). This is because it will
> make setting the environment a container of that environment. So before
> every element inside is executed, parser will have to go through
> <stage> and _then_ set the environment.

> With the way it is now, one can easily skip some <setenv>s and
> perhaps execute elements after it, which depend upon it.

Uh, skip?  What difference is it if it's inside a stage or it has it's
own tags?  I don't see how that makes all that much more of a
difference.

I though the point of <stage> is to make it easier to group things.  I
can't support such a change if i can't easily use <stage> like we are
presently using <build> and so forth... otherwise, it's just making
things more complicated then need be.  [however, i'll wait untill i see
a good example before making a judgement on this]

> If there are no other volunteers, I'll modify the beginning of LFS
> profile, using the ideas mentioned on the list regarding <stage> and
> new <package>, so we could have an example and be able to see the
> "full picture".

If you have the time, please do.  I've read most of the threads on this
subject and so many things were said, it's just confusing me at this
point.  It would problaby simplify things overall for everyone too ;)

Even just like a portion of chapter 5 or something, to show if off.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org