Unwanted Optimizations

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Mon Apr 1 10:47:55 PST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 08:00:52AM -0800, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> > But it's still a bit tricky to do this properly, since all
> > setting/unsetting you have done is lost when backend stops executing.
> >
> > Using a container/parent element for setting the environment (as in
> > <stage>) should solve this.
>
> Huh?  Show me some code then, cause i don't see how that makes it any
> easier to solve this problem.

No code, but check out my first message in "Improving <setenv>" thread.

> I've seen _alot_ of ppl talk about stage and how they believe it should
> be implemented, all i've seen are small code snippets, nothing past a
> single package, so i'm very skepital to see what huge difference it can
> make.  Yes perhaps it can do a good job to groups things, however that
> isn't the only use for something like <stage>, imho ;)

Actually, it won't make _that_ huge difference. :)

I mean, the only thing where it will make a difference, is the above
<setenv> (or <environment> inside <stage>). This is because it will
make setting the environment a container of that environment. So before
every element inside is executed, parser will have to go through
<stage> and _then_ set the environment.

With the way it is now, one can easily skip some <setenv>s and
perhaps execute elements after it, which depend upon it.

If there are no other volunteers, I'll modify the beginning of LFS
profile, using the ideas mentioned on the list regarding <stage> and
new <package>, so we could have an example and be able to see the
"full picture".

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org