Brainstorm: <stage>

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Mon Apr 1 01:11:59 PST 2002

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 05:24:04PM +0200, Lee Saferite wrote:
> > Well yes, but <info> would be just a container, a parent element
> > grouping other elements. So it's different, I think.
> >
> > But I'm fine with <stageinfo> too, I don't find this that important
> > issue.
>
> It is a container, but for the DTD you specify WHAT it can/cannot
> contain. Hence the need for two of them.

Yes, you're right. I'm always forgetting about that DTD.

> Err, ok, maybe I got the term wrong.  I 'THOUGHT' the set would create a
> new environment with nothing in it. and add/append would add variable to
> the current environmet.>

You, and probably everybody else. :) I'm just realizing that what I was
thinking (appending to a variable) doesn't belong at all in <environment>
element, but in <variable> instead.

I like the idea of creating a new environment (so there is no need that
the user previously unsets all not needed variables). Which together
would give us something like:

    <environment mode="set|add">
        <variable mode="append" name="" value="" />
    </environment>

Although, I think that:

    <environment mode="add">
        <variable>
		<name>HOME</name>
		<value>/root</value>
	</variable>

        <variable mode="append">
		<name>PATH</name>
		<value>/static/bin:/static/usr/bin</value>
	</variable>
    </environment>

would be more clearer/structured/more XML-like/whatever... ?

In the past we were so desperately trying to run away from the amount of
attributes there were in the syntax, so this might be better solution? :)
(Not for that reason only of course, but in general.)

And I think "add" _is_ better than "append" in the above case.

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org