Packager Proposition

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Mon Apr 1 01:11:43 PST 2002

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 11:26:08PM +0300, Silviu Julean wrote:
> So why not add something like <packager="checkinstall"> in <postbuild>? This
> could automatically create the required files and directories. In addition,
> nALFS could configure all installed packages as RPM's, not only TGZ's; and
> (l)users would use nALFS only when compiling their software, and then use
> their packaging software. It would also obsolete the need for make
> uninstall.

I have added this in TODO.

But I don't think there is a need for any info of that kind to be in
the profiles. I used to have <root> and <prune> (or something like that)
in the profiles for a find-like searches and it sucked. It just doesn't
belong there.

So I think an option within a program should be enough? A find search
using a single find and a time stamp is now implemented (for 1.0.3)
and now 'o' -> 'f' toggles between no file tracking, two find-search and
one-find search. I think this method also belongs in there.

In the future, a support for PIs in the profile will probably be added,
which would allow most of the options, now changeable from the program,
to also be changed by the profiles, giving more control to profile
writers.

That should be a nice way for changing methods for the above package
management, setting different root directory on the fly for find-like
searches (for pre and post chroot for example) etc.

I haven't played much with PIs yet, but I'm guessing this is, more or
less, what they are for?

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org