new profiles for hungry ALFSer

Nicolas Nieswandt Nicolas.N at gmx.de
Wed Sep 26 02:54:32 PDT 2001

>Actually, this brings up a thought I had on the version 2 syntax.  I had
>thought a while back that it might be a really good thing to have a
>profile be a set of profiles, one for each package, and have a master
>profile that tied them togeather in the right order.  Basicaly, the
>topic of dependency checking and/or parallel building got me thinking
>about that.  I thought that perhaps, eventually, it whould be easy to
>add this version, and dependency information to each package profile.
>It whould also seem to make it slightly easier to keep up with
>book/package revisions.
>
>Dunno, anyone want to comment on that?

Like the way I thought, but I don't know how to patch nALFS to understand
XLink ( more infos http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/ )

I already wrote about that, I thought it might look like this.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE alfs [

<!ENTITY LFS "/mnt/lfs">
<!ENTITY packages_dir "/usr/mnt/sources">
<!ENTITY build_dir "/mnt/lfs/usr/src">

]>

<alfs>
   <package xml:link="bash" href="bash-static.xml" />
   <chroot dir="&LFS;">
      <package xml:link="bash" href="bash.xml" />
      <package xml:link="x11"  href="x11.xml"  />
   </chroot>
</alfs>

I keep that in mind, for a discussion of a new syntax.

I have just another idea. Above I mentioned "basch-static.xml" and
"bash.xml" and I think this two should be in one file.

There could be a attribute <package type="static"> and the attributes
could be uses even for eg. vim <package type="with-x-support">

But first let's start with the basics of a new syntax. ( or two? one for
the different host specific master profiles and one for the packages ?)

read you soon,
nico
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org