Alfs cvs/website status update

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Thu Sep 20 11:20:23 PDT 2001

On 2001.09.20 16:05 Neven Has wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 12:03:45AM +0100, Mark Ellis wrote:
> > Still trying
> > to resolve the " issue, Neven's patch was no good, I think it's a
> > deeper issue,
> > possibly due to the use of the default DTD. I've actually got around to
> > reading the
> > basics of XML at last, as far as I can tell attributes are normally
> CDATA,
> > therefore
> > are not parsed, so this behaviour is not unexpected, what does everyone
> > think ?
>
> What version are you exactly using and what is the error you're getting?
> When I tried ALFS-0.0.7 I had the same problem, but the patch did fix it.
>
> > On a related note, anyone working on a DTD for the original or proposed
> XML
> > syntax ?
>
> Corey Cox was working on it, but I didn't see him posting for a long
> time.
> If somebody wants to help with that...
>

> Neven

Excuse me if I spout gibberish, a bit hungover :) I'm using the tarball of
ALFS-0.0.7 that Jesse (I seem to recall) put up for download a while
back, timestamp on my local tarball is May 8th 2001, which should be
about right, seems like longer though.

Without the patch, the message line from frontend is

18:18:30 Id: 7: Executing  make CC="gcc -static" in
/mnt/lfs/usr/src/bzip2-1.0.1:

and output from the backend during make complains about "
command not found or something similar, and a lot of
"make: Wall: Command not found".

With the patch, the output from frontend is correct, ie. " has been
substituted, backend make gives the same errors. Applying the same
changes to the unescape function in backend also has no effect.

So here is my thinking. The profile is parsed by frontend, sent to
backend and parsed again, but because this is attribute content it isn't
unescaped. With the patch in place, the action message sent to
frontend is converted because it's no longer an attribute, but element
content. I'm not familiar with nALFS so couldn't say why this doesn't
happen there. I'll get around to diff'ing against the version in CVS at
some point.

As for the DTD, I'm quite happy to give it a go, probably when my head
clears....

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org