Who is working on profiles and many other questions

Chris Lynn roryo at roryo.dynup.net
Sat Sep 15 18:50:33 PDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 01:21:46PM +0200, Nicolas Nieswandt wrote:

> Where have you found all those tags ? quite a lot !

hehe, yeah, basically going through all the xc/config/cf/*
files and picking out the ones that we wanted/needed,
we noticed that a lot of the cool options were only enabled
if you were using a distro, so we grabed them and
enabled them  :)

> Weren't some of them already set somewhere else ?

Yes and no, a lot were defined only if you happened to
be building X in a distro that the cf configures could
recognise...  Some like LinuxMachine were defaulted
to very low/safe values ie i368 optimised bins

> Is there a place to find the default settings ?

Not in any one file... gotta start digging a bit

> How does X do the config stuff ?
>
> site.def ->  host.def
>              xfree86.def
>              linux.def
>              host.def
>
> Where does the process starts ?

I'm not 100% sure where the process starts, i only know that the
entries in host.def will over-ride any previously defined
values... and host.def is the last one processed.

> I've got 5 different host.defs now, and I will try to add some
> documentation.

5! nice - we should really come up with a lfs specific host.def
and maybe submitt it to the blfs ppl for inclusion to the book. :)