Who is working on profiles and many other questions

Chris Lynn roryo at roryo.dynup.net
Thu Sep 13 22:34:08 PDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 05:49:13PM +0200, Nicolas Nieswandt wrote:

> First of all, thanks Gerard for all work on the book.
> Thanks for all who helped him.
> Thanks Neven for the nice nALFS.
>
> My LFS-rc2 is working. Trarrra. Very nice.
>
> I'm now working for 2 weeks on further profiles.
> I found some from roryo (thanks).

Cool, your most welcome ;-)

> Is the already someone who controls the making of profiles?
> roryo was working on gnome profiles is anybody on kde ?
>
> What about the Syntax Hint, at what state is it ?
>
> Should/Could we share our profiles in the ML ?

sure, why not - it would be better is we could get a cvs
respository tho, something thats always available...

> What I have done so far :
>
> console stuff :
> - zlib
> - cvs --with-zlib
> - openssl
> - openssh
> - wget --with-openssl
> - gpm
> - ncurses --with-gpm
>
> X stuff :
> - freetype2
> - mesa
> - doctools
> - X11
> - glib
> - mc --with-gpm
> - vim --with-x
>
> Has anybody a LFS-optimized host.def ?

Yes, mca and I have hacked one up, there is 1 outstanding issue
with it, about the xkbdevel drivers, now i have never used/needed
these drivers, so i just hack the xc/progams/Makefile to rm the
install of the xkbdevel stuff and works great.  I'll attach it :)

Just a few quick pointers about it - it totally redefines all the
arch specific compile time attributes, so read it carefully 1st and
change what needs to be changed for your curcumstances. You dont
need to follow the X11 hint, this host def gives you a fully threaded
i*86 optimised X server, along with X's inbuilt freetype-lib, you just
need to add your own ttf fonts, and your ready to go.  This has been
written/tested on X410 - if you want to use X403, then i would stongly
suggest using the X11 hint, it is a very good, in depth hint.