LFS profile using the new syntax

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Thu Oct 25 08:27:31 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 11:22:30PM +0100, Mark Ellis wrote:
> Hi Neven, looks nice, hope we get a bit of discussion going on this, so far
> it's been difficult to get anyone to bite :)

Yes, that would be nice. :)

> 2) With links, type still seems more natural as an attribute rather than an
> element, since it has only specific values, what do you think ? I suppose
> it really doesn't matter all that much either way.

Heh, I actually move it to an element just a day before I sent the profile. :)
Same goes with "name" and "version" from <package>. I moved them because there
could be more interesting package info added latter (like "url" for  example)
so it wouldn't look very nice in an element.

And then I moved "type" from <link> because it was the only element left
which contained attributes (not counting <alfs> and <chroot>). But that's
not a very strong reason, so I'll just bring it back as an attribute.

> Also, passing -f in a
> param doesn't seem right, maybe we should have another attribute or element
> for force. I dont think we want arbitrary command parameters except where
> strictly necessary. Then again i suppose there is the nightmare of patch if
> we go down that path.

I agree, but the problem with this is - there are a lot of parameters which
would need a new attributes (I look at <patch> as a has_to_be_a_system_command
so I don't count it here). For example: -p for mkdir, -a for copy, -f for link
etc. etc.

OTOH, we could always add new attributes latter, without making the new syntax
incompatible with the previous (very important of course).
So we might as well start doing that now.

> be created in <mkdir> ?

I wanted it to be a bit more self explanatory. I agree that <base> is not the
best solution (and not even very self explanatory now that I think about it
again), but <dir> doesn't say much neither.

That should be a directory which we immediately change to, so maybe something
like <current>, <current_dir> or... just <dir> ? ;)

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org