Power Management!

Alex Kloss klossa at Stud-Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Tue Nov 27 07:04:05 PST 2001

Am Dienstag, 27. November 2001 15:16 schrieben Sie:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2001 23:21, Naitik Shah wrote:
> > Is apmd what i need to install to be able to use kde's
> > powermanagement?...
>
> Yes.
Not only. You'll need apmd too. I suggest you look at the kernel
Documentation about Powermanagement: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/pm.txt.

> > I've compiled powermanagement stuff in the kernel. But i wanna be able to
> > suspend and standby my system. But the apmd readme says something like
> > the stuff is over a few years old!
>
> That's no guarantee that it doesn't work.
>
> > someone must be using a laptop!
I am. But my IBM thinkpad i1200 doesn't like APM. So I'm using ACPI.

> Not me -- mine died.
>
> > oh yeah, is there any special software for P-III-Mobile for better power
> > management and extending battery life?
Not yet, because ACPI4Linux is still under heavy development. There's no APM
mode to get into the CPU settings.

> That one, I don't know about. I'd just advise you to let things power down
> after short idle times, even if (disk access most of all) things slow down
> a lot because of it.
>

> rgds,
> Peter de Freitas
LX