Profile splitting time!

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Thu Nov 22 12:08:10 PST 2001

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 07:05:41PM +0000, Mark Ellis wrote:
> > <include type="package"> <!-- "profile" for the way it works now -->
> > 	<name>gtk</name>
> > 	<version>1.2.10</version>
> > 	<location>large_profile.xml</location>
> > </include>
>
> I like it lots, it's giving me a headache figuring out how to do it, but
> hey :) I suppose we'd parse in the mother.xml, move through it looking for
> <package> with the name and version we wan't, and copy that branch into
> the controlling profile, not too bad actually.

Yes, but without parsing in the full profile and then going through it
again. It should be enough to parse it only until <include> (and needed
info inside it) is hit. We can just ignore the other packages with the
same name/version in the same profile, if any.

> I was thinking of allowing entities specified in the child profile to
> "overwrite" any matching ones from the master, that way you can get system
> stuff available and if the child profile wants to override or simply not
> use them it can, so a default isn't necessary.

Mmmmm, that sounds nice. :) It's a bit tricky to implement, but it will
be very useful.

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org