Profile splitting time!

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Wed Nov 21 10:36:55 PST 2001

On 2001.11.20 12:38 Neven Has wrote:
> Two ways for splitting your profiles:
>
> o   External entity support is added. That means you can create your
>     profiles the same way LFS book is organized. Check out:
>

> http://www.beotel.yu/~has/projects/alfs/profiles/LFS-3.0-split.tar.bz2
>
>     for the example of this.
>
>     You can also have separate files for entities now. Read - support for
>     parameter entities is added (actually just enabled) as well.
>
> o   The advantage of <include> element (maybe not so obvious) is that you
>     can include _self_contained_ profiles. For example, using external
>     entities, you couldn't have entity declarations in the files
> included,
>     since they would appear somewhere in the file, which is not allowed
> in
>     XML of course.
>
>     But with <include>, you can have tons of profiles for various
> programs
>     which you can use separately, but which you can also "connect" in
> some
>     order, using a "master" profile.
>
>     Get
> http://www.beotel.yu/~has/projects/alfs/profiles/after-LFS.tar.bz2
>     to see how it can be done.
>
>     This element is going to be improved a lot in the future. URLs for
>     fetching profiles from the Net will be allowed for example, multiple
>     locations if the first is not available etc. etc.
>
>     Right now however, you can safely use only:
>
>     <include>
>         <location>/some/location.xml</location>
>     </include>
>
>     Unless somebody gives us a reason for renaming these two elements,
>     future additions won't affect your profiles with the above.
>

> Neven

Good stuff Neven, looks like perl is playing catchup again :) I like the
syntax, I was thinking more of <include> having the location directly, but
this gives room for expansion. One thing I'm curious about, do you know if
it's possible to use entities from the master profile in an included one ?
I know it won't as you've written it, or at least i dont thnk it will, i'm
just wondering if we can do it ? This would then allow you to change
globals in the master, such as "LFS", without worrying about the
sub-profiles. My thinking is if you could create a parser for the sub
profile, copy the entity list into it from the master, then parse the sub.
I have no idea if this is possible, any idea ?

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org