<textdump mode="append">

Nicolas Nieswandt lfs at electro-nic.de
Wed Nov 21 04:24:22 PST 2001

Ups, sorry, the previous message sliped through my fingers.

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 9:31 AM
>> Or, we could add something like <textdump offset="<line_number>"> and
then
>> insert <content> there, but that would be waaaay too dependent of the
>file,
>> and therefore not very nice solution.
>
>Why not just use diff? Many of you already know its syntax, it doesn't need
>no "search and replace" logic at all and it could just be feed with inputs
>from the XML file. (i.e. everything between the <diff
>target=myfile.txt>...here comes my diff changes... </diff>
>
>Hope I made that clear, but it's just an idea that jumped to my head when
>reading the above.

Good idea, but I don't know what will happen to different versions. I mean,
can diff handle config files that changes content depending on installation
type? The content you need may vary if you install KDE or GNOME or KDE/GNOME
w or w/o X or even KDE befor GNOME or GNOME befor KDE.

So I think, improving <search_replace> would be the best solution by now.

nico

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org