Semi-automated scripts that I threw together

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sun Nov 11 07:14:41 PST 2001

On 11 Nov 2001, at 11:20, Ingo Blechschmidt wrote:

> And, a (silly?) question: It is (with LILO) possible, to load
> an Linux system NOT from a partition, but a directory (e.g)
> /lfs?

You seem to have a wrong idea of the Linux boot process in general and the
role of the boot loader in particular. The only thing LILO does is to load
the kernel into memory and start it. LILO does not know the "system". LILO
only cares about the kernel, i.e. the one big file that make bzImage gives
you. Where this file is located on the hard disk does not matter. You can
have it in /lfs/boot and LILO will load it if you put that dir into
lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo. However, this will not achieve what I think
you want to achieve.
As I understand it you have built an LFS system in /lfs on the /
partition, rather than on a different partition mounted on /lfs. Now you
want a way to boot this system. If this is what you want you are lucky as
I have just finished a hint yesterday that explains how to do just that.
The hint is called one_partition_may_lfs.txt but has not yet appeared in
the hints archive as far as I can see.

>Probably I should ask this question in BLFS...

Actually lfs-support would be the proper forum for this question.

MSB

----
A psychologist is a man who watches everyone else when a beautiful
girl enters the room.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org