A bad thing about ALFS in c

Felipe Contreras al593181 at mail.mty.itesm.mx
Wed Nov 7 20:08:09 PST 2001

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:47:40PM +0100, Neven Has wrote:
> I've been away for a week, and now I'm totally lost in this thread. :)
> There is no particular reason for replying to _this_ message.
>
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:14:19AM +0100, Fabio Fracassi wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 November 2001 17:40, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > > That should work for most purposes of "chdir" and "export" but then what
> > > if I some script needs bash substitution? For example "export
> > > tmp=${LFS%/*}". Or what if there are some other commands that alter the
> > > environment? Things go harder and harder, just because the commands of a
> > > shell script need to run on the same shell, just as if you were
> > > executing it. Unfortunately there is no easy way to interact with bash
> > > nicely.
> >
> > It looks as if you are always searching for a way to do things you want to
> > do with the shell in C. In this case C is of course the looser.
> > It would be better to "think in C" from the beginning.
>
> We really shouldn't be thinking in anything, but XML. :)
>
> The whole idea is (or at least it was) language independence.
>
> So, we should think about how to represent something like
> "export tmp=${LFS%/*}" in XML and not how to implement it in C. That is
> something that should be left to backend writers.
>
> ALFS is not in C, only its implementations could be written in it.
> Maybe we could say that ALFS is in XML, if we look at the profiles.

Language independence of the shell commands or the backend to
interpreter?

Let's supose I run a program called "special_ugly_config" that export
some environmental variables and then you run program "ugly_installer",
if you do that with different system() calls the environment will be
lost since the shells are different.

I also think that there is no need to find a way to implement "export
tmp=${LFS%/*}" in XML, that's just too much to think if the ones that
write sources expect things to be written on the shell.

So ALFS is in XML, but the XML data in which format will be? it needs to
have some kind of shell commands, doesn't it?
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org