A bad thing about ALFS in c

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Wed Nov 7 13:47:40 PST 2001

I've been away for a week, and now I'm totally lost in this thread. :)
There is no particular reason for replying to _this_ message.

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:14:19AM +0100, Fabio Fracassi wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 November 2001 17:40, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > That should work for most purposes of "chdir" and "export" but then what
> > if I some script needs bash substitution? For example "export
> > tmp=${LFS%/*}". Or what if there are some other commands that alter the
> > environment? Things go harder and harder, just because the commands of a
> > shell script need to run on the same shell, just as if you were
> > executing it. Unfortunately there is no easy way to interact with bash
> > nicely.
>
> It looks as if you are always searching for a way to do things you want to
> do with the shell in C. In this case C is of course the looser.
> It would be better to "think in C" from the beginning.

We really shouldn't be thinking in anything, but XML. :)

The whole idea is (or at least it was) language independence.

So, we should think about how to represent something like
"export tmp=${LFS%/*}" in XML and not how to implement it in C. That is
something that should be left to backend writers.

ALFS is not in C, only its implementations could be written in it.
Maybe we could say that ALFS is in XML, if we look at the profiles.

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org