coasters and frisbees

Bryan Dumm bryan at bcpub.com
Fri May 11 06:25:16 PDT 2001

On Friday 11 May 2001 13:06, you wrote:
> Yo Bryan!
>
> here comes the report for 2.4.4/style2/uptokernel
>
> bad side: (no big deal)
> -kernel version 2.2.17 in the profile and 2.2.18 in the directory
> -gnutar patch - compressed on the filesystem (not in profile)
> -part of static tar install fails (trying to install to /usr/bin instead of
> /mnt/usr/bin)
> -consoletools patch is gzipped in directory (but not in profile)
> -sysklogd patch - bzipped in dir (not in profile)
> -sysvinit patch - bzipped in dir (not in profile)

argghh :) Noted, will be fixed. Ain't the first time, I've experienced this
patch problem.

> good side:
> -little more than 2 hours to build the system on my laptop (I did the
> kernel 2.4.4 by hand at the end)

great. Yea I want to make a alfs handler for the make menuconfig part
that, let's any alfs fe configure the kernel, and then the handler actually
changes the .config for you.

> -everything works, once you restart the alfs_app after the kernel version
> modification in the profile, just uncompress the patches by hand and hit
> retry when you have a problem

That's what I did here <g>

> -colleagues are very impressed by ALFS (they saw me doing LFS before, ...)

Just wait :)

> -they all bugged me for a copy of the alfs-cd

:)

> -I am now building a 2.4.4/style2/uptokernel on another laptop for a
> colleague (to replace win2k) while having fun with the CD 3.0.0 profile on
> mine

Glad to hear it. Why does you colleague want to use that thing they
like to call an OS, anyways? :)

Bryan
Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org