alfs iso

Douglas J. Hunley root at hunley.homeip.net
Thu May 10 12:51:20 PDT 2001

On Thursday 10 May 2001 15:45, Gerard Beekmans babbled:

> You don't need a bootcd in order to get ALFS installed on a 386. One
> could just copy the alfs cd contents to a harddisk and then put that
> harddisk in a 386 and boot from it.

doh! of course!

> The bigger question we should ask, I think, is whether we want a 386 to
> be able to run a Linux system (or alfs in our case).

I ran Linux on a 386 all through the reign of the 486. I only upgraded to a
Pentium cause the darn AMD chip burned up.

> And, are all 586's the same? I have seen and heard about subtle
> differences between Intel's and AMD's when somebody tried to
> cross-compile LFS to it. Going from a Pentium to some kind of AMD which
> would also be a 586 (that was before the kernel had specific amd
> options) proved to be troublesome because the code from intel 586 didnt'
> work on the amd 586 type. Downgrading to 486 solved that problem for
> that guy. I think we'd be safest by using 386 binaries on the alfs cd so
> we don't risc getting into these intel/amd/cyrix weirdnesses.

they are now.. basically... only the kernel would be tricky. and in that
case, ask the user ;)

seriously, until we get to the point where we are "on par" with boxed
distros, it's safe assume anyone using lfs for the near future at least has
some kind of clue. right ;)
--
Douglas J. Hunley (Linux User #174778)
http://hunley.homeip.net/

If you can't enjoy yourself, enjoy someone else.
Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org