alfs iso

Andy ac_ml at backslash.co.uk
Thu May 10 11:04:55 PDT 2001

> On Thu May 10, 2001 at 10:08:43AM -0700, the boisterous
> Andy <ac_ml at backslash.co.uk>
> wrote to me:

> > telnet?,
> > >
> > > Hmm /me not being a fan of telnet I left it out. Should it be in???
> > >
> > > tftp? what for? /me confused...
> > >
> > > lynx/links/w3m was considered, just not added this time. What is
> > everyone's
> > > favorite?
> >
> > I don't know about tftp, but telnet will be handy. Some cheap web hosts
only
> > allow telnet access, and as Claudio said it is a very handy debugging
tool.
> > Is there a reason to exclude it?
>
> tfptp aka trivial ftp is used in "real" xterm (like NCD14c) for
downloading
> their kernel. I've one at home and they are cool.
>
> > What about nsftp too? :)
>
> I like lukemftp, it's more ftp than nsftp ;-)

I will have a look, thanks :)

> > I use lynx, but I havent tried the rest. It's nice to have a web browser
> > wherever you go :)
>
> I agree. Much documentation (like exim) is html.
> BTW, I didn't remind, but is cron, mail and a sendmail(-clon [exim])
there?

Do you need cron/at on a CD?

For documentation on the CD (if any is required), then HTML + console web
browser is an easy alternative to man/info pages, and as easy to read.

Is there dial-up software on the CD? For people without braodband
connections, being able to dial your ISP from it would be very nice indeed.

./andy

Unsubscribe: send email to alfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org